Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Counting our Blessings: 2013

Well, I of course wanted to get this up sooner in January but, hey, 2 weeks in is pretty good for me. Last year, I made a list in my journal of all the good things and all the hard things from 2012. I really liked reflecting back on it this year and decided to share my list for 2013 here as a little "year in review" of the things God has done for us. I've divided it roughly into blessings and trials although there is a lot of overlap and even the trials are being worked for our good (Rom. 8:28). 

Blessings:


  • Baby #2! We are so excited to have this little bean! Before this year I took for granted the blessing of children. The reality of how huge this blessing is hits home now more than ever. 
  • The joy that Elias is in our home. He is healthy, happy and growing up so fast! We have been so blessed by him and what an easy baby/toddler he has been. He is a joy to be around and a blessing to raise. 
  • Another year of marriage. Going on 3 years…we're practically pro's (haha umm just kidding). This year was the toughest so far on our marriage but its even sweeter to have had conflicts and some low points and to see the grace and forgiveness that is given to us by Christ displayed in each other. Its not so fun in the moment but at the end of the year we can truly say that our love is deeper and more Christ-like. 
  • Great community of believers that are true friends and point us to Jesus. We are so blessed by our church and the friends we have made here in OKC. 
  • A year full of trips and vacations! I'm not sure how but we managed to get in more vacations, trips and getaways this year than ever before! We went snow-skiing, took a trip to Carlsbad Caverns, got 2 overnight getaways (baby-free!), and went camping a couple times, not to mention all the holiday trips! We are so blessed.

Trials: 

  • The loss of our baby in March. Definitely the hardest thing we have ever been through. But like I said, even in this there were blessings. Blessings of knowing God more, becoming more like Christ, hearing amazing words of encouragement from friends and family, and acquiring a whole new perspective on the gift of children. 
  • Being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Although not really a life-changing disease, the symptoms surrounding the diagnosis were difficult especially considering the recent miscarriage. 
  • A summer of anxiety and panic attacks. Hoping to get a post up soon chronicling this journey a little more but, basically, as either a side effect of the thyroid problem or a postpartum condition, I suffered severe anxiety and panic attacks for a good part of the year. Through a combination of prayers, meeting with a biblical counselor, the thyroid medication, and time, I am doing much much better. However, even in this trial there were many blessings. I don't think I've ever experienced a deeper daily dependence on God. 

So that's a very condensed summary of our year! I remember saying this summer that I could not wait for 2013 to be over and that it was the worst year ever, etc. But looking back now it is already easier to see God's purpose behind this year. I would never have asked for it, but the Author and Perfecter of our faith knew what He was doing. 

2014 is starting off as a year of uncertainty and change. I can't wait to see what this list looks like next year! I have a feeling the lists will be long. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment