Friday, January 18, 2013

Come Away

I recently read this quote by C.S. Lewis and it keeps playing in my head because it has so much truth in my life,

"The moment you wake up each morning, all your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job of each morning consists in shoving them all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in."

How true is that?!

It seems like every single morning the first thought that pops into my head is "what's today?" or "what do we have to do today?".

How different would my day be if every morning I shoved all that out of my head and started my day off with the right perspective. A verse from Mark comes to mind,

"HE said to them, 'Come away by yourselves to a remote place and rest a while.'" ~Mark 6:31

When I first discovered this verse, this is what I wrote in my journal, "This is essentially what 'quiet time' is about - resting from the battles of sin and this world and just experiencing sweet communion with Jesus. It is so important to life."
Jesus knew that His disciples needed to rest. Rest with Him. And He knows that we need that very same thing. I need to start my day by resting in Him. Only then will that "other...quieter life come flowing in".  

"Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him" ~Psalm 37:7

I want my day to start by reminding myself of His greatness. Reminding myself that my day belongs to Him. Reminding myself that nothing on this earth matters if I am not bringing Him glory. 

"God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." ~John Piper

Satisfied in Him. Not rushing around as soon as I wake up trying to fulfill MY plans for my life. Rest in Him. Satisfy myself in Him. Come away with Him and rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment